EARLS COURT ARTS HUB

Theme for September 2013 - TRUST

Theme for October 2013 - MOTIVES




-----------------------------------------------------------

POEMS WILL BE DISPLAYED ONLINE ON OUR BLOG AND ON OUR WALL AT:

EARLS COURT ARTS HUB
1A NEVERN PLACE
EARLS COURT
LONDON
SW5 9NR



-----------------------------------------------------------



poetswindow@yahoo.co.uk




Dream by Annette

Dream

When I was young-about 9 or 10
I watched the men on the TV
Who spoke so twee, about money and MPs
I knew then what I wanted to be

The years eased in; the forms filled in
The referees asked, their titled names-
In letters large and small. The ones I sought
After being taught, that respect was
Neither won nor gained
Without those letters on your name.
Nice house, good car-markers of success
“You’ll go far,” they said
Whilst sneering at John from down the estate
And later, a prayer before lunch-time break
“For Children in Africa-a Christian sake”

And yet had I really listened to
Their Christian talk; “better your background”
I’ve have learned that the world
Was largely planned; we were actors
In a script already writ
As Johnny would say without shame.

And yet we all had our dreams
When we were young and watched TV
Of Worlds so far apart;
Of people we wanted to be.

Tags: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment